2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 large raw chicken breasts, cut in cubes
3 cups chicken broth
3 large chopped carrots
1 large red bell pepper
3 scallions, chopped
3 – 4 tablespoons curry powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans coconut milk
1 ½ cups frozen green peas
3 or 4 cloves garlic, chopped
5 lemons and their zest (can substitute one orange for one of the lemons)
2 tbsp capers (optional)
½ cup chopped green onions (tops only)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
cooked rice or vermicelli rice noodles for serving
- Cook onions and chicken in olive oil over medium heat until onions become glassy and transparent.
- Add broth, carrots, celery, and red pepper, and seasonings. Cook until carrots are just tender.
- Add coconut milk, peas, garlic, lemon juice & zest, and capers.
- Simmer very slowly over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice noodles, boiled potatoes, or rice.
- Sprinkle the top with green onions, parsley or cilantro (or all three)!