I always love it when strawberries come into season. This was a special treat when I was growing up. We usually had ours with angel food cake or pound cake though. You can too - nothing wrong with that. This recipe just makes it even more special with a shortcake dough.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.
- Cut cold butter into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle over the flour mixture and cut in with pastry blender or two knives. Work until the dough is somewhat grainy.
- Stir in milk and mix together with a rubber spatula to form a dough.
- Roll out onto a floured surface and cut into 3 to 4 inch diameter circles with a wet knife or a cookie cutter.
- Place dough rounds onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees; check after 12 minutes to see if they are golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- Whip cream into soft peaks, then gradually add 2 tbsp sugar and whip into stiff peaks.
- Split in half - crosswise. Fill with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Replace top half and top again (if you must) with strawberries and cream.