1 stick butter
1 & 1/2 cups sugar (The recipe calls for super-fine or caster sugar,
but that's expensive and may be hard to find. Just use regular - if you're concerned, grind it in your coffee grinder a bit.)
3 & 1/3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
1 (8-ounce)package dates, pitted
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups boiling water
Ingredients for Sauce:
2 sticks of butter (told you it was rich)
2 & 1/3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups whipping cream
Directions for Pudding:
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs ONE at a time. With spatula or wooden spoon, fold in sifted flour.
- Place dates and baking soda in a separate, heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water over them and leave until all the water has absorbed.
- Add the dates to the butter mixture and spoon into a large Pyrex baking dish. Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes.
- In a saucepan, boil butter, brown sugar, and cream together.
- Pour over the baked pudding and brown under the broiler before you serve. (Be careful! Don't let it burn!)