The most important element of this recipe is to let the meat marinate for 3 days!
Roasting Sauce Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
2 & 1/2 cups onions, chopped
2 & 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup gingersnap cookies, crushed
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a saucepan, except for meat. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place beef in a deep bowl (non-metal). Pour marinade over the beef until it comes at least halfway up the sides of the meat or more. If there is not enough, just add more wine.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 days, turning the meat two times a day.
- After 3 days, remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Strain marinade through a sieve and reserve liquid. Throw away onions, spices, etc.
- In a heavy Dutch oven or roasting pan, heat butter until it bubbles. Add the beef and brown on all sides, turning several times for even browning.
- Transfer meat to a platter.
- Saute onions, carrots, and celery in the roasting pan for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mix and stir CONSTANTLY for 3 minutes or until flour begins to turn a light brown.
- Pour in the reserved marinade liquid and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- After the mixture comes to a boil, return the meat to the pot and simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Make sure that liquid does not boil out and add more water, if necessary. Meat is done when it shows no resistance when pierced with a fork, (Alternatively, you can bake this in the oven at 350° for 2 hours.)
- When done, place the beef on a platter and cover with foil.
- Pour the liquid that is left in the pot into a a bowl and skim the fat from the top. You need 2 & 1/2 cups of this.
- Combine the liquid and gingersnap crumbs in a pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Cook for about 10 minutes to reduce and thicken. If sauce is too thin, add more cookie crumbs and let them dissolve.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl with a fine sieve. Press down with a spoon to get the essence of cookies and veggies.
- Slice beef and pour sauce over the slices. Leave some sauce for using separately.