This is a beautiful cake and very good to serve at Christmas time. It tastes good too. - Aunt Bessie
Cake Ingredients & Instructions:
- Cream Crisco, sugar, and eggs.
- Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa; add to creamed mixture.
- Mix salt, vanilla, and milk; add alternately with the flour.
- Mix soda and vinegar in a small cup, then fold into mixture. (DO NOT BEAT.)
- Pour into two 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Icing Ingredients & Instructions:
5 tbsp flour
1 c milk
1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
- Cook flour and milk in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly to make a soft paste. Remove from heat and let mixture get completely cold.
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Add in the cold flour & milk mixture and beat until it looks like whipped cream.