You can fix the pear mixture the night before and refrigerate to save time. Just reheat right before serving.
- Cut peeled pears into 1/4" thick slices, avoiding the core. Put into a large frying pan with the water, sugar, ginger, and butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until pears are soft, but not mushy.
- Stir cinnamon, lemon zest, and nutmeg into the pear mixture and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in flour and milk slowly to incorporate. Whisk in vanilla.
- Cut butter into 8 equal slices. Place one in each baking cup or ramekin - you will need 8. Place cups in a roasting pan and heat in oven until butter is melted - about 10 minutes.
- Carefully, remove cups from oven and pour pancake batter into the cups.
- Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce heat to 400 degrees and cook for 10 more minutes until golden and puffy. Remove from oven.
- Let pancakes cool for about 5 minutes, then spoon pear mixture into the center of each one. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired!