- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens (about 8 – 10 minutes).
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl; gradually add a small amount of the hot mixture to egg yolks. Then add yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture.
- Cook 2 minutes longer while stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and butter.
- When lukewarm, pour into pre-baked pie crust.
- With electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually add sugar – one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until definite peaks form.
- Spread on top of pie – allow to touch, but do not cover the pastry edges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography