- Separate stalks of cauliflower and broccoli. Put in large pot with chopped onion, salt, pepper, and enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Do not overcook! Drain well and place into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan melt butter over low heat and stir in the flour. You must stir constantly at this point until the roux is well blended. It will seem too thick to begin with, but keep stirring.
- Slowly whisk in milk, again stirring constantly. You will have to stir for quite a while until the mixture thickens. It will seem like it's not going to get thick, but it will. Just keep stirring and do NOT let it boil.
- AFter the sauce thickens, whisk in the seasonings and mustard.
- Stir in 2/3 of the shredded cheese and keep stirring until it melts. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until a little bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remainder of cheese.
- Return to oven and cook for 10 - 15 more minutes until very lightly browned.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography