Ingredients for pudding:
2 cups cubed pound cake or Pannetone
2 c heavy cream
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp butter, melted
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 c golden raisins
1/2 c any sweet liqueur, brandy or amaretto for example
1/2 c sliced blanched almonds
1 tsp lemon rind, grated
1/2 tsp orange rind, grated
Ingredients for topping:
1 carton whipping cream
2 tbsp sifted sugar
- Plump raisins by soaking in the liqueur for about 15 minutes. Drain off most of the liqueur and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, set aside.
- Heat cream until just scalding, but not sticking or burning. Watch it carefully. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, salt, nutmeg, butter, lemon, and orange rinds.
- Pour heated cream and the sugar mix over the egg yolks and mix.
- Fold in the raisins, cake cubes, and almonds. Stir together very lightly
- Place batter in a greased baking dish. I use a 1 & 1/2 quart one with tall sides.
- Set the baking dish in a shallow pan filled with 1-inch of water.
- Put both in 325° oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Make topping by whipping together the cream and sifted sugar. Serve dollops on top of pudding.