1 & 1/2 pounds ground lean beef
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
I cup of chicken stock or beef bouillion
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped 3 stalks celery, chopped
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 to 1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 quarts water, divided
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain on paper towels to absorb grease. Set aside.
- Sauté onion, celery, and carrots in same skillet until a little limp.
- In a large pot, combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, sautéed veggies, and browned beef.
- Add sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour in 1 quart of the water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Pour in another quart of water, and return to a slow boil. Add garlic and cabbage. Simmer for 25 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Ladle into soup bowls to serve.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography