Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts! ~James Beard
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c melted butter
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups shredded fresh pumpkin (cooked) (or canned pumpkin)
1/4 c sunflower seeds, walnuts, or pecans (optional)
1/4 c raisins (optional)
- You use a pie pumpkin for this. (In Uruguay I use a zapallo, or green pumpkin-like squash for this.) Cut in half, scoop out seeds, cover with foil, and bake on cookie sheet in 350 degree oven until tender.
- Scoop 3 cups from the baked pumpkin.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir together both mixtures and fold in the shredded pumpkin and pumpkin seeds.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, pour into a non- stick 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan, greased and dusted with with flour.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.