Pole beans are kind of like flat green green bean. I can't find them outside of Mississippi and haven't eaten them outside the Deep South. I just use regular fresh green beans (not the skinny French ones or any canned or frozen either). This is my mama's recipe and so, so good!
- Wash beans and trim ends, removing strings as you go. Cut into 1 & 1/2" size pieces or just break into halves. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crispy in a large cooking pot. Remove bacon and reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon fat.
- Sauté onions in the fat until tender.
- Add water to onion and bring to a boil. Add the bacon, beans, and seasonings.
- Return to a boil; then cover and lower heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook until both potatoes and beans are tender.
Photo ©2015 BigCoffeeCup.com; Beso del Sol Photography