One of Mama's favorite foods - she just loved it. I don't think she ever had an actual recipe, but this one tastes just like hers.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain well.
- Melt butter in a frying pan and stir in the flour. Stir constantly until lightly brown, then slowly pour in milk. Keep stirring all the time!
- Stir until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and shredded cheese.
- Slowly stir in the cooked and drained macaroni, then pour the whole thing into a greased casserole baking dish. Sprinkle top with a bit of paprika, if you wish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned.