A German tradition at Christmas. This recipe is the bar version of the wonderful Lebkuchen Cookies that my mother-in-law made.
To make spice bars:
- Beat eggs and brown sugar until creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nuts ,and citron. Add to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Spread the batter over a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake in 375 ° oven for about 25 minutes or until browned.
- While warm, spread with sugar glaze (recipe below). Cool a bit before cutting.
- Mix confectioner's sugar and hot water.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth. (If it's too thick, add a little more water. If it's too thin, add a little more sugar. The consistency should coat a spoon.