My sister-in-law, Jane, says, "They're always a surprise. We can only expect them to be good every other time I make them." I, for one, have NEVER had a bad one! Tip: These need to be refrigerated for 12 hours or longer, so make ahead of time.
5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup melted Crisco shortening (I don't use this, I just use butter.)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 packages dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water (warm enough to activate yea
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Combine dry ingredients. Add water with yeast, buttermilk, and melted Crisco.
- Mix, cover, and put in refrigerator for 12 hours or longer.
- Stir and drop into greased muffin pans. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 400 degrees from 20 minutes.