I used to watch Lizzy, the C.W. Fords' maid, whip up this cake for many birthdays and special occasions. She not only made a great cake; she listened and gave advice as good as her cakes.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time. - very important
- In a separate, small bowl, whip the cream. (I have accidentally skipped the whipping step and the only difference was the cake texture.)
- Add flour and whipped cream alternately to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and floured.
- Place in COLD oven. Then set oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 1 & 1/2 hours or until done.