It's a Southern thing. Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was schooled in the art of grits-making by a cook in Jackson, Mississippi. His best advice: use only half & half to cook your grits, not water.
- Cook grits according to package, but substitute half & half for the water.
- When they're done, put the grits into a bowl and stir in the grated cheese, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well by hand. Let cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs and milk, then fold into the grits.
- Pour it all into a greased casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes. Leave uncovered while baking.