This is Pat, my sister-in-law's, recipe. It quickly became Mama's favorite dish to have for the holidays or just about any time. Mama made it religiously every Thanksgiving and Christmas after trying Pat's the first time. It's a lot of ingredients, but well worth the trouble.
2 lbs fresh broccoli florets (or thawed frozen)
2 tbs butter, melted
1 cup water
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 tsp salt
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained
1/4 c onion, chopped
1/4 c celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
3/4 c Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut broccoli in 1-inch pieces and wash. Bring water to a boil and cook broccoli. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes; drain.
- Saute' onion, celery, and mushrooms in butter until tender; drain.
- Stir together mushroom mixture, broccoli, and water chestnuts. Set aside.
- Combine Velveeta cheese and soup; cook over low heat and stir until cheese melts. Pour over broccoli mixture. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.
- Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and bake and additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings