1 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds or 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
4 c chicken stock (or water, if you're vegetarian)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup half and half cream
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and chopped tbsp olive oil
3 stalks celery, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 tsp cumin
- Cook the potato, cauliflower, onion, celery, and garlic in a large soup pot with the olive oil and 1/4 c of water. Stir continuously until hot. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir well, then add the ginger and all of the spices and seasoning. Cook for about 5 more minutes; stir every minute or so.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Cook until potatoes are done.
- Transfer carefully in batches to the blender or food processor and blend just a little. It should still be a little chunky. If you have a stick blender, remove the pot from heat and use it. I like to use the stick blender because it's not so messy or dangerous. Be careful either way, because when liquids get hot and steamy, they like to bubble and spatter you and your kitchen.
- Pour into serving bowls and swirl with a spoonful of half & half in each one.